Monday, November 30, 2015

Cinderella Ate my Daughter



Orenstein, from Cinderella Ate My Daughter


Image result for pinkification


I remember growing up and not liking pink because it was too girly and every little girls favorite color was always pink. I didn't want to be different, but I didn't want to like it just because everyone else did. I also remember protesting skirts, dresses and ANYTHING pink. I wasn't comfortable in it so i didn't like it. I wasn't a tomboy though, but I remember trying to classify myself as a tomboy or a girly girl because I thought I had to be one or the other (at least I knew I had a choice). I preferred shorts/ jeans and loved to ride my bike and make pretend meals out of dirt and leaves, but my favorite color was purple and I also liked playing with dolls and painting my nails. This whole pinkification thing is fairly new and I still don't understand it. Is pink supposed to be the ultimate girl color? Where are all the other choices? Why are things that was once gender neutral becoming pinked?
 
I'm trying to determine if the things I got as a child affects the person I am today. Most of the things I got I picked out myself on based off what I saw on TV. Yes, I saw all the girly toys that weren't so pink back then but I also saw a lot of other things on TV and I picked what I liked. Sometimes I got it, sometimes I didn't. My life wasn't consumed by my toys, I barely remember what my dolls looked like. I had a whole collection of Disney movies and the only movies I had with Disney princesses was Cinderella, Mulan, and Alladin. I still have not seen the other Disney princess movies and I don't know when I will. I don't know if that has anything to do with my personality today, or if I got certain things based off my personality.
 
When it comes to toys training kids for their future, I could see how one could think that but judging from my own personal experience it didn't work for me. I had a doctors kit, but i don't want to be a doctor. I had an easel because I thought I wanted to be an artist but changed my mind. I also had sponge bob bed set and a scooby doo alarm clock that didn't make me decide I don't want kids, and my baby doll didn't make me want to have kids either.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. I'm a firm believer that kids should be allowed to make their own choices as long as it doesn't hurt them or anyone else.

    ReplyDelete